EAMT Best Thesis Award 2010
The European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT, http://www.eamt.org) is an organization that serves the growing community of people interested in MT and translation tools, including users, developers, and researchers of this increasingly viable technology.
The EAMT invites entries for this edition of the EAMT award for the Best Thesis on a topic related to machine translation.
Researchers who have submitted a PhD (or equivalent) thesis on a relevant topic in an European, Northern African or Middle Eastern institution within calendar year 2010, who have successfully obtained the PhD or equivalent degreee, and who have not previously won a similar award, are invited to submit their theses to the EAMT for consideration for this award.
The submissions will be judged by a panel of experts from the EAMT Committee.
The scope of the thesis need not be confined to a technical area, and applications are also invited from students who carried out their research into commercial and management aspects of machine translation.
Possible areas of research might include:
- development of machine translation or advanced computer-assisted translation systems: software and resources
- machine translation for less-resourced languages
- the use of these systems in professional environments (freelance translators, translation agencies, localisation, etc.)
- the increasing impact of machine translation on non-professional Internet users and its impact in communications, social networking, etc.
- machine translation and post-editing
- spoken language translation
- the integration of machine translation and translation memory systems
- the integration of machine translation software in larger IT applications
- the evaluation of machine translation systems in real tasks such as those above
- the cross-fertilisation between machine translation and other language technologies
The winner will receive a prize of €500, together with a suitably-inscribed certificate. In addition, the recipient of the award will be expected to briefly present their research at the EAMT 2011 conference in Spring 2011. In order to facilitate this, the EAMT will waive the winner's registration costs, and will make available a travel bursary of €200 to enable the recipient of the award to attend the said conference.
Should you wish to enter your thesis, please forward:
- an electronic copy (PDF or PostScript formats preferred) of your thesis
- a 2-page summary of the thesis in English
- your full contact details,
- the name and contact details of your supervisor(s),
- a copy of your CV (max. one page)
- any other relevant information on the thesis to:
EAMT “BEST THESIS AWARD”
Mikel L. Forcada, EAMT Secretary
Departament de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics
E-03071 Alacant, Spain.
By submitting their work authors
- agree that, in case they are granted the award, any subsequently published version of the thesis should carry the citation "Winner of the Best Thesis Award 2010 of the European Association for Machine Translation" and
- acknowledge the right of the EAMT to publicize the granting of the award.
Closing date for submissions is December 31, 2010.